Founded in 1990 by Massachusetts Institute of Technology roboticists, iRobot designs and builds some of the world’s most important robots. iRobot’s home robots are revolutionizing the way people clean – inside and out. More than 10 million home robots have been sold worldwide, with the award-winning iRobot Roomba floor vacuuming robot leading the charge. iRobot’s combat-proven defense and public safety robots perform multiple missions – on the land and in the water. More than 5,000 have been delivered to military and civil defense forces worldwide, performing thousands of dangerous search, reconnaissance and bomb-disposal missions while protecting those in harm’s way. With two decades of leadership in the robot industry, iRobot remains committed to building robots that improve the quality of life and safety standards worldwide.
- More than 8 million home robots sold worldwide.
- More than 5,000 iRobot unmanned ground vehicles (UGVs) delivered worldwide.
- iRobot launches the Scooba® 230 floor washing robot.
- iRobot launches Roomba® 700 series vacuum cleaning robots.
- iRobot celebrates 20 years of making a difference.
- iRobot co-sponsors National Robotics Week.
- iRobot helps monitor Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
- iRobot launches SPARK education initiative.
- iRobot expands into maritime robots.
- iRobot launches the Roomba® pet series and professional series vacuum cleaning robots.
- iRobot wins contract to develop LANdroid communication robot.
- iRobot launches the Create® programmable mobile robot.
- iRobot launches the Verro® pool cleaning robot.
- iRobot launches the Looj® gutter cleaning robot.
- iRobot launches the Dirt Dog® shop sweeping robot.
- iRobot launches the Scooba® floor washing robot.
- iRobot stock begins trading on the NASDAQ Stock Exchange.
- iRobot wins contract to develop Small Unmanned Ground Vehicle (SUGV).
- iRobot launches the Roomba® floor vacuuming robot.
- The iRobot PackBot® is deployed with U.S. troops for the first time.
- iRobot and the National Geographic Society develop a robot that searches the Great Pyramid in Egypt.
- The iRobot PackBot® searches at the World Trade Center after the September 11 terrorist attacks.
- iRobot wins DARPA contract to build a tactical mobile robot, leading to development of iRobot PackBot®.
- iRobot develops Ariel™, a robot that detects and eliminates mines in surf zones.
- iRobot develops Genghis™, a robot designed for space exploration.
- MIT roboticists Colin Angle, Helen Greiner and Rodney Brooks co-found iRobot.